Selangor Journal: Selangor recognised by MBOR for distributing 100,000 free satay sticks — Exco
SEPANG, Sept 17 — The state government has been recognised by the Malaysia Book of Records (MBOR) for successfully distributing 100,000 free satay sticks during the Fiesta Sate Selangor 2023 event yesterday.
The state executive councillor for unity Datuk Rizam Ismail said over 10,000 visitors attended the event, organised by the Selangor Malay Customs and Heritage Corporation (Padat)and the Selangor Cultural Council.
“From all walks of life, everyone enjoyed the satay, which can be served as a casual meal with family and friends or on special occasions.
“Beyond just food, I believe programmes like this can serve as a platform for interethnic unity through the participation of various segments of society,” he said.
During the event, Rizam received a certificate of recognition from MBOR on behalf of the state government’s for successfully organising the fiesta at Pantai Bagan Lalang.
Earlier on elsewhere, the state executive councillor for culture Borhan Aman Shah said Kajang satay will be designated as Selangor’s heritage food by next year.
He said was chosen because it has been closely associated with the town of Kajang since 1917.
In November last year, nasi ambeng was designated as a heritage food to provide recognition for its authentic and Selangor-originated characteristics.
Meanwhile, the move to recognise Kajang satay as Selangor’s heritage food is expected to revive its popularity of satay, especially youths.
Kumpulan Sate Kajang Haji Samuri marketing executive Muhammad Rafizan Yusoff said the dish has lost some of its appeal among youths, due to fierce competition from fast food and trendy cafe options.
“They are increasingly less interested in satay, as they are more inclined towards fast food and trendy foods available at cafes, and the like.
“So with this recognition, I hope satay sales will increase, and more people will learn about the uniqueness of Kajang satay,” he said in an interview with SelangorKini.
At the event, visitor and technician Khalid Maarif, 37, said he took advantage of the Malaysia Day public holiday to bring his family along.
“Today is a holiday, so I brought 11 family members to Pantai Bagan Lalang to enjoy the free satay. I have been looking forward to this event for two weeks.
“I am a satay enthusiast, so I did not want to miss the opportunity to relax and enjoy satay with my whole family,” he said.
For housewife Norasfarhana Adnan, 43, she hopes the event can be held annually to attract more tourists to Selangor.
“This programme is quite exciting. Besides getting to eat for free, it also provides income to other vendors at this beach. I hope it can be held every year,” she said.