Selangor Journal: Flood-affected houses’ repair works, infrastructure being carried out intensively — MB
SHAH ALAM, May 12 — The state government is focusing on constructing and repairing flood victims’ houses which were severely damaged during the flooding in December last year.
Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari said completing the works may take some time, with half of the process already begun.
“Our focus now is to see to other forms of assistance including housing. It takes time because some are coordinated by the Selangor Zakat Board (LZS) apart from being assisted by the Housing and Local Government Ministry (KPKT) and others.
“We also want to ensure all the damaged infrastructure can be fixed, which include Genting Paradise on the border of Hulu Langat and Negeri Sembilan since that area is prone to landslides.
“For other areas including roads and rivers, the restoration progress has reached 40 to 50 per cent,” he said following the launch of Selangor Mega Job Fair at the University of Selangor in Shah Alam earlier today.
The torrential rain from December 17 to December 19 last year resulted in double the rainfall compared to the previous high of 180 millimetres and led to severe flooding in several locations throughout Selangor.
On December 21, the state government announced a RM100 million fund under the Selangor Bangkit programme following the flooding.
In addition to infrastructure restoration, the fund also covers cash assistance of RM10,000 to the families of those who perished in the floods and RM1,000 to the heads of families to restore their homes.